PRIMARY

» Marketing
» NewCo
» Social Media

» respond (17)
» connect (0)

BODY

In my last post I talked about how all media is social. Before I get to my examples in the next few days, I want to talk about the implications of these changes on institutions. Essentially, the process goes like this:

1. Institutions emerge, develop, become successful (or at least sustainable), and eventually become complacent.

2. Progressive and resourceful people develop new tools and methods to fulfill needs in an innovative way and do so outside the mainstream institutions and bureaucracy.

3. Constituent needs evolve and, eventually, institutions increasingly fail to fulfill those needs.

4. Some of those tools and methods evolve and are built upon until sophisticated constituents adopt them.

5. Popularity of these new constituent actions reaches a mass audience and institutions recoil in fear because their way of doing things is threatened by the new actions.

6. Constituents don't wait for institutions to catch up and continue to push forward.

7. Institutions make several failed attempts to change.

8. Eventually the change happens, albeit in a slow and painful way.

9. Constituents eventually adopt the institutions' solution, possibly with an unexpected player.

10. The process starts over again (see step 1).

When institutions try and fail to meet the new constituent needs, we witness a deceptive width of the chasm between the current state and the emerging state. In reality, the chasm isn't that wide. The real obstacle is the process and philosophical shift required to operate in an entirely new way.

As my colleague, Pete Kim, so eloquently said it, "many brands secretly fear that connecting with the community will lead to dilution and destruction."

So the real challenge is changing the organization, not meeting the new needs. We see the distance between these types of events get shorter every year, especially in recent years. The 'new organization' must embrace change as part of it's DNA — it's underlying structure must embrace an operating paradigm that enables ease of adaptation.

SIDEBAR
SIDE-LEFT
01 Oct 2008
We've spent a good 6+ years talking about "social media"...
Colophon

This work on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.

Fancy quote box styling courtesy of Joomsayer for Movable Type.
SIDE-RIGHT
06 Oct 2008
Today's instances of sharing with social media have a long...
FEEDBACK
TRACKBACKS
ENTRY-HEADER

TrackBacks (0)

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Sites that reference this entry:
Everything Old Is New Again: Lifecycle

COMMENTS
ENTRY-HEADER

Comments (17)

Saturday

Larry Irons said:
@ 11:21 AM

Haven,

Everyone in the social media space ought to go back and read Cluetrain Manifesto again. I know it is a classic, but its claim that Markets are Conversations remains as clear a statement of the issues involved in your point about institutional change as any I've seen.

Your analysis of the interplay between emerging needs and institutional adaptation nicely works through the dynamics of how it works. I look forward to reading your thinking on this topic as you work it out.

Monday

Ethan Bauley said:
@ 1:56 AM

COMMENT-BODY

Have you seen anyone besides Umair Haque use the "DNA" construct?

Monday

Haven said:
@ 10:39 AM

COMMENT-BODY

Larry, funny you should mention Cluetrain — I'm actually reading it right now. I agree that everyone should reread it. It's very impressive how right the authors got it as far back as they did. Thanks for the kind words, and I look forward to continuing the dialogue.

Ethan, I haven seen anyone else use the DNA construct formally (although Kevin Kelly may have use it briefly in Out Of Control, but I can't remember for sure. I find it so useful because we really have entered an era that requires a fundamental shift in how things are done. I also see some companies that "get it" and too many that don't — It's just in some people's DNA. Do you think it's an appropriate construct?

Tuesday

Liza said:
@ 5:36 AM

COMMENT-BODY

I see, I spupsoe that would have to be the case.

Tuesday

moncler coats said:
@ 2:47 AM

COMMENT-BODY

Welcome to moncler online shop http://www.monclersalecoats.net

Monday

Air Slide Belt said:
@ 4:19 AM

COMMENT-BODY

That is an awfully astounding column you’ve posted.

Monday

Moncler Jackets said:
@ 2:31 AM

COMMENT-BODY

The Moncler Outlet in USA, which is similar ti Japan once, the Italian fashion are crazy to choose Moncler Jackets and Moncler Coats as the only collect, the popular cause is the Moncler Jackets can keep warm better!

Monday

Moncler Sale said:
@ 2:47 AM

COMMENT-BODY

The Moncler with safe and reliable materials have known to the world, The Moncler Outlet have more and more customers, in winter, that is to say, the Moncler Sale Season, the Moncler Jackets are always hot, for your whole family, you can purchase the Moncler Kids and Moncler Vest, you can't miss our Cheap Moncler Jackets or Moncler Coats Outlet!

Tuesday

north face outlet said:
@ 2:48 AM

COMMENT-BODY

Thanks for such an interesting article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here.

Tuesday

sunglasses hut said:
@ 10:43 PM

COMMENT-BODY

http://www.sunglasseshut.us/ Causal never owe us anything, so please do not complain.

Wednesday

new era cap said:
@ 9:40 PM

COMMENT-BODY

see different scenery, see different people; Some people say that happiness is what I think can be achieved, do not want do not appear

Wednesday

COMMENT-METADATA
wholesale new era hats said:
@ 3:44 AM

COMMENT-BODY

He then accused Kremlin strategist Vladislav Surkov of being linked to the party's split and said he would push for Mr Surkov's dismissal.

Monday

Office 2007 said:
@ 11:12 PM

COMMENT-BODY

I will keep your new article. I really enjoyed reading this post, thanks for sharing.

Monday

Register website domain said:
@ 5:08 AM

COMMENT-BODY

Dude i would love to read some more on this article..

Monday

Real estate programs said:
@ 5:11 AM

COMMENT-BODY

I would like to thank you for this excellent article..

Saturday

cartier sunglasses said:
@ 4:40 AM

COMMENT-BODY

If you want glasses that feel as good as they look then you need to opt for the leading designers. Cartier glasses can offer superior spectacles that can offer stunning looks and a comfortable fit.

Tuesday

Gucci Shoes On Sale said:
@ 5:38 PM

COMMENT-BODY

Many thanks for your good publish. I'll take the notes you've written.

COMMENT-FORM
ENTRY-HEADER